Get My Money Back from a Garnishment that Continued after I Filed Bankruptcy?

February 8th, 2013 by Reed Allmand

Wage Garnishments

Garnishments are a legal actions enforced by the court to allow creditors to collect on outstanding debt.  The most common is wage garnishment when funds are deducted from paycheck earnings.  Bankruptcy may stop pending and active garnishment activity against you.  When bankruptcy is filed an action called the automatic stay goes into effect. The stay prevents further collection attempts from creditors.  But what happens when you notice your earnings are still being garnished after your petition has been filed?

When you file bankruptcy your creditors are notified of the filing.  Creditors who receive notice are supposed to stop collection efforts.  There are potential consequences creditors may face if they continue collecting.  Yet, there are factors to review to understand if the creditor violated the bankruptcy code.

In proving if the creditor willfully violated the automatic stay, you need to prove the creditor knew the stay was in effect.  You also need to prove their ongoing collection actions were intentional. If you present your case to the court they may award you punitive damages if they find the creditor purposely continued garnishing your earnings.

The timing of your bankruptcy may also play a role in whether you can get garnished funds returned to you.  In some cases, a certain amount may need to be garnished before you can collect.  Paycheck earnings up to 25 percent may be garnished, but garnishing laws vary state by state.  Garnishing may be approved for back child or spousal support, with bank accounts also subject to garnishment.



About Reed Allmand


Allmand's vision is rooted in his own financially precarious childhood in Abilene "My father always had difficulty holding a job and supporting our family, so after my parents divorced when I was 12, my sister and I got jobs to help make ends meet," he recalls. "I remember what it felt like as a child to worry that our car would be repossessed or home foreclosed on."

View all posts by Reed Allmand


Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter to receive updates.


Why do I need to submit a new wage order when I modify my plan

When we modify your bankruptcy plan we are changing your plan payments. This means that we have to get with your employer and change the terms and amount of your wage order. The only way we can do that is by filling out a new wage order form.  

Learn More
What happens if the stay terminates on my home?

If the bankruptcy stay terminates on your home that means that even though your in bankruptcy, your creditor can pursue all there legal remedies they can pursue if you were not in bankruptcy. This includes foreclosure, and having your house sold and evicting you from your house.

Learn More

Find Location

  • Dallas Bankruptcy

    5646 Milton Street, Ste. 120 Dallas, Texas 75206
  • Fort Worth Bankruptcy

    860 Airport Freeway, Suite 401, Hurst, Texas 76054
  • More Locations

Meet Our Clients