Ohio Man Sentenced for Using Bogus Checks to Pay Bankruptcy Trustee

March 1st, 2013 by Reed Allmand

Bankruptcy fraud

Todd William Klein, 49, of Reading, Ohio was recently sentenced to three years in federal prison for what investigators claim was bogus checks being used to make payments to his bankruptcy trustee.  The bogus checks turned out to be fake checks he printed at his home while using an old bank account number belonging to a closed account.  Klein was sentenced for obstruction of  justice but has a history of being convicted of other crimes.

Klein filed for bankruptcy protection in May 2011.  Court records related to the case claim Klein gave his bankruptcy trustee two checks, each just over $3,000 in September, a few months after filing.  The money was supposed to be used to pay off creditors.

The checks were created by Klein and were presented as an “Official Check.” This was the way the checks were labeled when they were given to the trustee.  Klein later admitted the checks contained fictitious information and included false account numbers.  He told police the checks were printed on his home computer using paper he purchased from the office-supply store Staples.  The false account numbers were from closed credit union accounts.

Klein pled guilty to the charges last summer and was sentenced this week by Chief U.S. District Judge Susan J. Dlott.  He was ordered to serve his sentence alongside a supervised released violation stemming from a conviction that included bank fraud and interstate transportation vehicle theft.  In 2006, he tried to buy a vehicle with a fake cashier’s check.


Reference: http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20130227/NEWS0107/302270139/Man-used-fake-checks-bankruptcy-payments


About Reed Allmand


Allmand's vision is rooted in his own financially precarious childhood in Abilene "My father always had difficulty holding a job and supporting our family, so after my parents divorced when I was 12, my sister and I got jobs to help make ends meet," he recalls. "I remember what it felt like as a child to worry that our car would be repossessed or home foreclosed on."

View all posts by Reed Allmand


Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter to receive updates.


Why do I need to submit a new wage order when I modify my plan

When we modify your bankruptcy plan we are changing your plan payments. This means that we have to get with your employer and change the terms and amount of your wage order. The only way we can do that is by filling out a new wage order form.  

Learn More
What happens if the stay terminates on my home?

If the bankruptcy stay terminates on your home that means that even though your in bankruptcy, your creditor can pursue all there legal remedies they can pursue if you were not in bankruptcy. This includes foreclosure, and having your house sold and evicting you from your house.

Learn More

Find Location

  • Dallas Bankruptcy

    5646 Milton Street, Ste. 120 Dallas, Texas 75206
  • Fort Worth Bankruptcy

    860 Airport Freeway, Suite 401, Hurst, Texas 76054
  • More Locations

Meet Our Clients