Do I Have to Appear in Court if I am Being Sued for Credit Card Debt?

May 18th, 2012 by Reed Allmand

Do I Have to Appear in Court if I am Being Sued for Credit Card Debt?

Being sued by a creditor gives them legal means to collect from you when you haven’t paid toward your debt.   If you receive a summons you may wonder whether or not to appear in court.  Many debtors assume that if they don’t have the money, what is the point in showing up in court?  While you should appear in court at the scheduled time listed on the summons, you are not required to do so.

If a creditor fails to show in court, the case may get dismissed since the creditor won’t be present to provide evidence regarding their claim.  If a debtor fails to show up, it is often grounds for a default judgment.  This allows the creditor to schedule an inquest or hearing to present information to the court without your presence; meaning you won’t be able to defend yourself while they present supporting documents of their claim.

Keep in mind, there are consequences that follow a default judgment.  The creditor may obtain a judgment order that allows them to seize assets, property or wage garnishment to satisfy outstanding debt.  Some states have regulations in place that protect certain items or assets from being seized by creditors for unsecured debt.

You may choose to work out an agreement with the creditor before the court date on the summons.  If you and your creditor reach an agreement, a Notice of Settlement is filed with the court.  This lets the court know an agreement has been reached and proceeding with the lawsuit isn’t needed.  While you have the option to show in court, you should review all possible outcomes for either option.


About Reed Allmand


Allmand's vision is rooted in his own financially precarious childhood in Abilene "My father always had difficulty holding a job and supporting our family, so after my parents divorced when I was 12, my sister and I got jobs to help make ends meet," he recalls. "I remember what it felt like as a child to worry that our car would be repossessed or home foreclosed on."

View all posts by Reed Allmand


Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter to receive updates.


Why do I need to submit a new wage order when I modify my plan

When we modify your bankruptcy plan we are changing your plan payments. This means that we have to get with your employer and change the terms and amount of your wage order. The only way we can do that is by filling out a new wage order form.  

Learn More
What happens if the stay terminates on my home?

If the bankruptcy stay terminates on your home that means that even though your in bankruptcy, your creditor can pursue all there legal remedies they can pursue if you were not in bankruptcy. This includes foreclosure, and having your house sold and evicting you from your house.

Learn More

Find Location

  • Dallas Bankruptcy

    5646 Milton Street, Ste. 120 Dallas, Texas 75206
  • Fort Worth Bankruptcy

    860 Airport Freeway, Suite 401, Hurst, Texas 76054
  • More Locations

Meet Our Clients