Can Bankruptcy Help Me if I am Behind on Spousal or Child Support Payments?

December 7th, 2012 by Reed Allmand

Debtors who fall behind on making spousal or child support payments may be under the impression they cannot file for bankruptcy. In fact, if you meet qualifications and requirements to file, you can seek bankruptcy protection when you fall behind. Yet, keep in mind that bankruptcy may not discharge debt related to back child support or spousal support payments.  Bankruptcy may help in discharging other debt to help make support payments easier for you.

While bankruptcy is a powerful tool that can help you gain control of your finances, certain debts may not qualify for discharge.  Chapter 13 bankruptcy may help you get back support payments made through a repayment plan approved by the bankruptcy court.  The repayment plan may help you avoid jail time since it helps debtors get caught up on support payments.  While the repayment plan is enforced, the debtor may be required to continue current alimony or child support payments.

In Chapter 13 bankruptcy a trustee is assigned to receive and forward payment to the appropriate party that is entitled.  If you are seeking to discharge debt, Chapter 7 bankruptcy may be an option to consider, yet this won’t eliminate back or late support payments.  The filing may help you discharge eligible debt so that you can make support payments.  Chapter 13 is also an option to help you maintain your home or vehicle while getting payments caught up.



About Reed Allmand


Allmand's vision is rooted in his own financially precarious childhood in Abilene "My father always had difficulty holding a job and supporting our family, so after my parents divorced when I was 12, my sister and I got jobs to help make ends meet," he recalls. "I remember what it felt like as a child to worry that our car would be repossessed or home foreclosed on."

View all posts by Reed Allmand


Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter to receive updates.


Why do I need to submit a new wage order when I modify my plan

When we modify your bankruptcy plan we are changing your plan payments. This means that we have to get with your employer and change the terms and amount of your wage order. The only way we can do that is by filling out a new wage order form.  

Learn More
What happens if the stay terminates on my home?

If the bankruptcy stay terminates on your home that means that even though your in bankruptcy, your creditor can pursue all there legal remedies they can pursue if you were not in bankruptcy. This includes foreclosure, and having your house sold and evicting you from your house.

Learn More

Find Location

  • Dallas Bankruptcy

    5646 Milton Street, Ste. 120 Dallas, Texas 75206
  • Fort Worth Bankruptcy

    860 Airport Freeway, Suite 401, Hurst, Texas 76054
  • More Locations

Meet Our Clients