Three Things You Should Do 10 Years After Bankruptcy

November 26th, 2010 by Reed Allmand

Three Things You Should Do 10 Years After Bankruptcy

A bankruptcy filing remains on your credit report for ten years after you file.  But there are a few things that every debtor should do once that ten year period is up after bankruptcy.

  1. Get a copy of your credit report from all three credit reporting agencies ten years after your bankruptcy filing.  Of course, you should be checking your credit report every year, if not several times a year just to keep track of how your credit score and record has changed. You can get a free copy of your credit report from once a year.
  2. Once you have a copy of your credit report inspect it to make sure that your bankruptcy filing has been removed, along with any associated accounts. It is required by law that the credit reporting agencies remove a bankruptcy filing after ten years, but sometimes, (rarely) this doesn’t happen.  Also, other negative credit records such as a credit card or other loans that were discharged in bankruptcy should no longer show on your credit report.
  3. If you find that your bankruptcy filing is still showing on your credit report after 10 years, you need to write a letter and send it certified, return-receipt requested, telling the credit reporting agencies that your bankruptcy is 10 years old and must be removed as per the law. Once you send the letter, it will take the credit reporting agency about 30 days to investigate and you will receive a letter regarding their findings.


About Reed Allmand


Allmand's vision is rooted in his own financially precarious childhood in Abilene "My father always had difficulty holding a job and supporting our family, so after my parents divorced when I was 12, my sister and I got jobs to help make ends meet," he recalls. "I remember what it felt like as a child to worry that our car would be repossessed or home foreclosed on."

View all posts by Reed Allmand


Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter to receive updates.


Why do I need to submit a new wage order when I modify my plan

When we modify your bankruptcy plan we are changing your plan payments. This means that we have to get with your employer and change the terms and amount of your wage order. The only way we can do that is by filling out a new wage order form.  

Learn More
What happens if the stay terminates on my home?

If the bankruptcy stay terminates on your home that means that even though your in bankruptcy, your creditor can pursue all there legal remedies they can pursue if you were not in bankruptcy. This includes foreclosure, and having your house sold and evicting you from your house.

Learn More

Find Location

  • Dallas Bankruptcy

    5646 Milton Street, Ste. 120 Dallas, Texas 75206
  • Fort Worth Bankruptcy

    860 Airport Freeway, Suite 401, Hurst, Texas 76054
  • More Locations

Meet Our Clients