Divorce: What Happens When I’m Not Happy with the Judge’s Decision?

April 13th, 2012 by Reed Allmand

Divorce: What Happens When I’m Not Happy with the Judge’s Decision?Divorce can be a challenging time for everyone but the judge often works to make the best decision for all parties involved.  While it’s true one may not be happy with what is decided by the judge, the judge may see things in a point of view that sometimes is misunderstood by one or the other spouse.

Overall, the judge determines a ruling based on information that is presented before the divorce is final. Each spouse may provide information detailed in a divorce decree.  If details in the decree are agreed upon by both parties, the judge will sign off on the final divorce papers.

In other situations, it is common for a spouse and their divorce attorney to disagree with the ruling.  Depending on the situation, you would discuss additional options with your legal representative to work toward getting the ruling you want.  Common situations include division of property, debt, assets and child custody.

Being unhappy with the final ruling leaves you to explore other options.  This may include submitting a petition to the court for a rehearing or filing an appeal with a higher court if your previous request has been denied.  It is important to review in detail why you want to appeal the decision by the judge.  You’ll have to be able to present information against evidence that was interpreted to the judge.

Along with reviewing personal decisions, you’ll want to discuss and listen to advice from your divorce attorney.  There are requirements and laws that should be reviewed in detailed before proceeding that will help you understand what decisions may be expected from the presiding judge.

Find an Experienced Dallas Bankruptcy Attorney

Find an experienced Dallas bankruptcy attorney to help ensure that any and all potentially dischargeable debts are eliminated.


About Reed Allmand


Allmand's vision is rooted in his own financially precarious childhood in Abilene "My father always had difficulty holding a job and supporting our family, so after my parents divorced when I was 12, my sister and I got jobs to help make ends meet," he recalls. "I remember what it felt like as a child to worry that our car would be repossessed or home foreclosed on."

View all posts by Reed Allmand


Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter to receive updates.


Why do I need to submit a new wage order when I modify my plan

When we modify your bankruptcy plan we are changing your plan payments. This means that we have to get with your employer and change the terms and amount of your wage order. The only way we can do that is by filling out a new wage order form.  

Learn More
What happens if the stay terminates on my home?

If the bankruptcy stay terminates on your home that means that even though your in bankruptcy, your creditor can pursue all there legal remedies they can pursue if you were not in bankruptcy. This includes foreclosure, and having your house sold and evicting you from your house.

Learn More

Find Location

  • Dallas Bankruptcy

    5646 Milton Street, Ste. 120 Dallas, Texas 75206
  • Fort Worth Bankruptcy

    860 Airport Freeway, Suite 401, Hurst, Texas 76054
  • More Locations

Meet Our Clients