Can I Add Another Debt After Bankruptcy Has Been Filed?

January 23rd, 2012 by Reed Allmand

Can I Add Another Debt After Bankruptcy Has Been Filed?When you decide to declare bankruptcy you will report information about your creditors to your bankruptcy attorney.  A schedule is completed that shows the names and addresses of each creditor.  Usually you will have the opportunity to view the listing before it goes to court to be reviewed by the judge and if you notice that a creditor is missing, this is the best time to make sure they are added and changes made accordingly.

When your bankruptcy petition is filed it will contain the list of all creditors and accounts to be included in the filing.  While many debtors are aware of whom they owe money it is quite common to forget to add a creditor when filing. A missed creditor should be presented to your bankruptcy attorney as soon as possible. In most cases, you can add still the creditor although there could be an amendment fee associated because you will need to file for an amendment and complete a new schedule list to show all creditors including the creditor that was left out of the previous filing.

If your case is closed or debts have already been discharged, the debt that was left out may be eligible for discharge if it originated before you filed bankruptcy. Depending on your situation, you should discuss with a your bankruptcy attorney what the best option is regarding the debt that wasn’t included in the filing. You may need to reopen and amend your case if the creditor continues with collection attempts.


About Reed Allmand


Allmand's vision is rooted in his own financially precarious childhood in Abilene "My father always had difficulty holding a job and supporting our family, so after my parents divorced when I was 12, my sister and I got jobs to help make ends meet," he recalls. "I remember what it felt like as a child to worry that our car would be repossessed or home foreclosed on."

View all posts by Reed Allmand


Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter to receive updates.


Why do I need to submit a new wage order when I modify my plan

When we modify your bankruptcy plan we are changing your plan payments. This means that we have to get with your employer and change the terms and amount of your wage order. The only way we can do that is by filling out a new wage order form.  

Learn More
What happens if the stay terminates on my home?

If the bankruptcy stay terminates on your home that means that even though your in bankruptcy, your creditor can pursue all there legal remedies they can pursue if you were not in bankruptcy. This includes foreclosure, and having your house sold and evicting you from your house.

Learn More

Find Location

  • Dallas Bankruptcy

    5646 Milton Street, Ste. 120 Dallas, Texas 75206
  • Fort Worth Bankruptcy

    860 Airport Freeway, Suite 401, Hurst, Texas 76054
  • More Locations

Meet Our Clients