Can I Keep My Vehicle in Chapter 7 Bankruptcy?

January 31st, 2013 by Reed Allmand

Car in Chapter 7 Bankruptcy

Many consumers may wonder if they can keep their vehicle in a Chapter 7 bankruptcy.  There is a motor vehicle exemption that may help protect your vehicle including any equity it may have.  In understanding how much protection you qualify for includes reviewing the amount of equity you have in your vehicle.  This often depends on whether you own the vehicle free and clear (meaning you have the full title).

If you own the vehicle outright (meaning you don’t have a loan or making payments on  it), the equity would be considered the vehicle’s replacement value.  Basically, the amount you can get for it if you were to sell it in its current condition.  Sources such as the National Auto Dealers Association and Kelly Blue Book can give replacement value information for most vehicles.

If you have a loan attached to the vehicle (making monthly payments), the amount left on the loan is subtracted from the replacement value to learn the equity amount.  If the amount is negative or zero, it’s likely you’ll be able to keep your vehicle.  If you are trying to avoid repossession there are options you can explore with the trustee.

After learning the equity amount it will be compared to exemption levels set by the state.  Each state varies so it is important to review specifics with your bankruptcy attorney or trustee.  In many cases, exemption amounts at the state level can provide protection.  A wildcard exemption at the federal level can protect excess equity not protected at the state level.



About Reed Allmand


Allmand's vision is rooted in his own financially precarious childhood in Abilene "My father always had difficulty holding a job and supporting our family, so after my parents divorced when I was 12, my sister and I got jobs to help make ends meet," he recalls. "I remember what it felt like as a child to worry that our car would be repossessed or home foreclosed on."

View all posts by Reed Allmand


Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter to receive updates.


Why do I need to submit a new wage order when I modify my plan

When we modify your bankruptcy plan we are changing your plan payments. This means that we have to get with your employer and change the terms and amount of your wage order. The only way we can do that is by filling out a new wage order form.  

Learn More
What happens if the stay terminates on my home?

If the bankruptcy stay terminates on your home that means that even though your in bankruptcy, your creditor can pursue all there legal remedies they can pursue if you were not in bankruptcy. This includes foreclosure, and having your house sold and evicting you from your house.

Learn More

Find Location

  • Dallas Bankruptcy

    5646 Milton Street, Ste. 120 Dallas, Texas 75206
  • Fort Worth Bankruptcy

    860 Airport Freeway, Suite 401, Hurst, Texas 76054
  • More Locations

Meet Our Clients