Getting Financial Assistance While In Bankruptcy

December 19th, 2010 by Reed Allmand

Getting Financial Assistance While In Bankruptcy

According to a report released by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, more than 42.9 million Americans are collecting food stamps.  In Texas alone, 15.5 percent of the population is receiving food stamps as more Americans find themselves struggling financially as the economy continues to sour.  For Texans considering bankruptcy, or already going through the bankruptcy process, food stamps can mean the difference between feeding their family a healthy, nutritious meal or going without.  Food stamps can also help debtors exiting bankruptcy get on their feet financially as they try to find a job, find housing or even just pay off debt that survived the bankruptcy discharge. Below are a few things bankruptcy debtors and those who are not in bankruptcy need to know about qualifying for the food stamp program, now known as SNAP:

  1. For most adults ages 18 to 50 who do not have a child, they can only receive SNAP assistance for 3 months in any three year period, unless they are pregnant, disabled, working at least 20 hours a week on in a job training program.
  2. Applying for or receiving SNAP benefits will not impact a debtor’s ability to file for bankruptcy or to receive a bankruptcy discharge.  This also applies for any other government poverty prevention program such as social security, section 8, Medicaid and general cash assistance.  
  3. Single people, married couples and even those individuals with assets such as a retirement account, bank account or a vehicle can qualify for SNAP assistance.  Bankruptcy debtors should not make the mistake of assuming that they do not qualify for SNAP or over financial assistance programs because they previously had a high income or because they have substantial retirement savings.  You DO NOT need to liquidate your assets, such as a retirement account, before you can receive help these programs.

To find out if you qualify for SNAP assistance visit


About Reed Allmand


Allmand's vision is rooted in his own financially precarious childhood in Abilene "My father always had difficulty holding a job and supporting our family, so after my parents divorced when I was 12, my sister and I got jobs to help make ends meet," he recalls. "I remember what it felt like as a child to worry that our car would be repossessed or home foreclosed on."

View all posts by Reed Allmand


Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter to receive updates.


Why do I need to submit a new wage order when I modify my plan

When we modify your bankruptcy plan we are changing your plan payments. This means that we have to get with your employer and change the terms and amount of your wage order. The only way we can do that is by filling out a new wage order form.  

Learn More
What happens if the stay terminates on my home?

If the bankruptcy stay terminates on your home that means that even though your in bankruptcy, your creditor can pursue all there legal remedies they can pursue if you were not in bankruptcy. This includes foreclosure, and having your house sold and evicting you from your house.

Learn More

Find Location

  • Dallas Bankruptcy

    5646 Milton Street, Ste. 120 Dallas, Texas 75206
  • Fort Worth Bankruptcy

    860 Airport Freeway, Suite 401, Hurst, Texas 76054
  • More Locations

Meet Our Clients