Requirements to Complete in Order to Obtain Discharge of Debts in Bankruptcy

January 2nd, 2013 by Reed Allmand

If you plan on filing for bankruptcy protection you’ll need to review qualifications and requirements in order to obtain a successful discharge.  This includes getting credit counseling with an approved government organization within 180 days of filing your petition.  A debtor education course is also required for debt discharge approval.  It is important to consult with your bankruptcy attorney to ensure you meet these requirements.

Some debtors have avoided filing for bankruptcy because of the credit counseling and debtor education requirements.  These requirements help debtors obtain pertinent information that will help in regaining control of their personal finances.  When seeking an approved credit counselor or debtor educator they should be listed on the U.S. Trustee Program list as an approved provider.

Credit counseling should be completed prior to filing your petition and debtor education should be completed before debts are discharged but after you file your petition.  When you file bankruptcy you’ll present a certificate of completion as prove of completing the counseling.  The same should be provided upon completing the debtor education course.

Counseling sessions last about 60 to 90 minutes with a minimal fee that should be reviewed with you before obtaining services.  This may be obtained free of charge to those who qualify. The debtor education course follows a similar protocol.  Course details can be received online, by phone or in person.  Choosing a credit counselor includes a provider that meets law requirements in your local jurisdiction.  Your bankruptcy attorney can provide additional details.




About Reed Allmand


Allmand's vision is rooted in his own financially precarious childhood in Abilene "My father always had difficulty holding a job and supporting our family, so after my parents divorced when I was 12, my sister and I got jobs to help make ends meet," he recalls. "I remember what it felt like as a child to worry that our car would be repossessed or home foreclosed on."

View all posts by Reed Allmand


Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter to receive updates.


Why do I need to submit a new wage order when I modify my plan

When we modify your bankruptcy plan we are changing your plan payments. This means that we have to get with your employer and change the terms and amount of your wage order. The only way we can do that is by filling out a new wage order form.  

Learn More
What happens if the stay terminates on my home?

If the bankruptcy stay terminates on your home that means that even though your in bankruptcy, your creditor can pursue all there legal remedies they can pursue if you were not in bankruptcy. This includes foreclosure, and having your house sold and evicting you from your house.

Learn More

Find Location

  • Dallas Bankruptcy

    5646 Milton Street, Ste. 120 Dallas, Texas 75206
  • Fort Worth Bankruptcy

    860 Airport Freeway, Suite 401, Hurst, Texas 76054
  • More Locations

Meet Our Clients