Where do I File Bankruptcy if I am Moving to Another State?

March 20th, 2012 by Reed Allmand

Where do I File Bankruptcy if I am Moving to Another State?

When considering bankruptcy, it is important to review your income and assets; having accurate records of your finances will help the filing process move forward. But what if you are planning to relocate to a different state in the near future? The income requirement will be based on which chapter you intend to file and the income amount may reflect what you earned in the last 6 months to a year and each state has its own median income level that debtors would need to meet upon filing.

Deciding to file bankruptcy in another state may depend on different factors.  While completing the filing process successfully has helped debtors gain a fresh start, state regulations in handling the case may vary, especially when a debtor moves from one state to another.  During the time you create your plans to move, you may want to review rules and eligibility for filing in your current state and compare them to the state you plan to move to.

Upon deciding to move, the timing of your residency may determine which state to file.  The state in which you have the longest amount of time as a resident is likely the state in which you can claim bankruptcy.  You may be required to be a resident in your new state for a certain time period before filing.  You’ll also want to review exemptions for both states.  The exemptions include what personal assets are protected when you file.  While reviewing information for both states, this could be a good opportunity to review credit counseling requirements.

Comparing information from both states may give you an advantage when it comes to filing your case.  It may be better for you file in your current state or wait a certain time period after you move to your new state.  Review questions and concerns with a qualified bankruptcy attorney.


About Reed Allmand


Allmand's vision is rooted in his own financially precarious childhood in Abilene "My father always had difficulty holding a job and supporting our family, so after my parents divorced when I was 12, my sister and I got jobs to help make ends meet," he recalls. "I remember what it felt like as a child to worry that our car would be repossessed or home foreclosed on."

View all posts by Reed Allmand


Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter to receive updates.


Why do I need to submit a new wage order when I modify my plan

When we modify your bankruptcy plan we are changing your plan payments. This means that we have to get with your employer and change the terms and amount of your wage order. The only way we can do that is by filling out a new wage order form.  

Learn More
What happens if the stay terminates on my home?

If the bankruptcy stay terminates on your home that means that even though your in bankruptcy, your creditor can pursue all there legal remedies they can pursue if you were not in bankruptcy. This includes foreclosure, and having your house sold and evicting you from your house.

Learn More

Find Location

  • Dallas Bankruptcy

    5646 Milton Street, Ste. 120 Dallas, Texas 75206
  • Fort Worth Bankruptcy

    860 Airport Freeway, Suite 401, Hurst, Texas 76054
  • More Locations

Meet Our Clients