What Happens in Bankruptcy When a Discharge Gets Denied?

July 10th, 2013 by Reed Allmand


Most debtors seeking to have debt eliminated or discharged may have the action granted by the bankruptcy court.  Although a discharge can be denied and in many cases it is due to the debtor doing something they should have avoided.  It is important to note that when a discharge is denied, it may not necessarily mean the case is dismissed.  But, it often depends on the situation of the debtor as to how the case will proceed.

The bankruptcy court may deny your request to discharge debt when evidence related to the following is presented:

  • Intention to defraud creditors by concealing or withholding property.

  • Fraudulent acts committed such as destruction or records, perjury, or concealing details.

  • Failure in taking responsibility for loss of assets.

  • Court order violation has occurred.

Any or all debts related to your case could be denied a discharge.  Sometimes the case leads to termination or dismissal, depending on actions carried out by the trustee. In other words, if your case continues to press forward the opportunity to discharge your debt may be lost.

It is important to be honest in reporting information about your case to your trustee or bankruptcy attorney.  If you are denied a discharge in a Chapter 7 case, it is possible such debts may not be dischargeable in a future filing.  There is the possibility of getting them discharged in a Chapter 13 bankruptcy.  You can review this option with an experienced bankruptcy expert.

Reference: http://www.txbankruptcyblog.com/2013/05/articles/bankruptcy-news/my-discharge-was-denied-now-what/


About Reed Allmand


Allmand's vision is rooted in his own financially precarious childhood in Abilene "My father always had difficulty holding a job and supporting our family, so after my parents divorced when I was 12, my sister and I got jobs to help make ends meet," he recalls. "I remember what it felt like as a child to worry that our car would be repossessed or home foreclosed on."

View all posts by Reed Allmand


Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter to receive updates.


Why do I need to submit a new wage order when I modify my plan

When we modify your bankruptcy plan we are changing your plan payments. This means that we have to get with your employer and change the terms and amount of your wage order. The only way we can do that is by filling out a new wage order form.  

Learn More
What happens if the stay terminates on my home?

If the bankruptcy stay terminates on your home that means that even though your in bankruptcy, your creditor can pursue all there legal remedies they can pursue if you were not in bankruptcy. This includes foreclosure, and having your house sold and evicting you from your house.

Learn More

Find Location

  • Dallas Bankruptcy

    5646 Milton Street, Ste. 120 Dallas, Texas 75206
  • Fort Worth Bankruptcy

    860 Airport Freeway, Suite 401, Hurst, Texas 76054
  • More Locations

Meet Our Clients