In Chapter 13 Will My Tax Refund Be Collected Each Year I Am In Bankruptcy?

January 9th, 2013 by Reed Allmand

Taxes in Chapter 13

During the duration of your Chapter 13 bankruptcy case you may be required to provide information about your taxes.  This may simply involve forwarding a copy of your completed return to your trustee.  Your trustee will know whether or not your tax refund will need to be collected.

There are a few factors to consider when it comes to your tax refund in Chapter 13.  For the most part it depends on your state.  Some states allow Chapter 13 debtors to keep a portion of their refund with the remaining amount to be forwarded to the trustee.  A similar situation may be true for debtors who are married but filed bankruptcy as an individual.  If you and your spouse filed a joint return, the spouse who filed bankruptcy could be required to forward half of their portion of the refund to the trustee.  The other half would belong to your spouse.

Sometimes it depends on the structure of your repayment plan and if you are required to pay back unsecured creditors in full.  Some debtors may be required to repay up to 100 percent to creditors.  In some cases, your tax refund could reduce the length of your bankruptcy, especially if it has been 3 years since you filed your case.  Yet, there are exemptions that may allow you to keep your refund, but it depends on the state you reside in.  Contact your bankruptcy trustee to discuss questions or concerns.



About Reed Allmand


Allmand's vision is rooted in his own financially precarious childhood in Abilene "My father always had difficulty holding a job and supporting our family, so after my parents divorced when I was 12, my sister and I got jobs to help make ends meet," he recalls. "I remember what it felt like as a child to worry that our car would be repossessed or home foreclosed on."

View all posts by Reed Allmand


Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter to receive updates.


Why do I need to submit a new wage order when I modify my plan

When we modify your bankruptcy plan we are changing your plan payments. This means that we have to get with your employer and change the terms and amount of your wage order. The only way we can do that is by filling out a new wage order form.  

Learn More
What happens if the stay terminates on my home?

If the bankruptcy stay terminates on your home that means that even though your in bankruptcy, your creditor can pursue all there legal remedies they can pursue if you were not in bankruptcy. This includes foreclosure, and having your house sold and evicting you from your house.

Learn More

Find Location

  • Dallas Bankruptcy

    5646 Milton Street, Ste. 120 Dallas, Texas 75206
  • Fort Worth Bankruptcy

    860 Airport Freeway, Suite 401, Hurst, Texas 76054
  • More Locations

Meet Our Clients