Do I Have To Give Up My House in Chapter 7 Bankruptcy?

July 18th, 2013 by Reed Allmand

Babkruptcy Allmandlaw

This is a common question among debtors who either don’t own their home, or are still making mortgage payments.  Some homeowners worry about what will happen to their house when they file bankruptcy.  It helps to understand your options prior to filing based on your unique situation. In most cases, debtors end up keeping their home when they file, while meeting necessary requirements in order to do so.

One of the most important aspects in understanding how your home can be protected in bankruptcy includes knowing the amount of equity in your home and how to protect it.  If you are making mortgage payments on your home you may have an amount of equity that is considered exempt.  Meaning, a creditor couldn’t use this amount to satisfy outstanding debt owed.  A homestead exemption allows homeowners to protect equity in their home from creditors.  Each state has a specific level or amount in which protection is offered to debtors.

The exemption is at the state level, but at the federal level, additional protection may be available.  In some cases, you may qualify to utilize one or both exemptions depending on whether your state will allow it.  For instance, if your state offers home equity protection up to a certain amount, a federal exemption (or wildcard exemption) may be applied to help protect any equity remaining.  There are also exemptions for other items such as household goods, jewelry, retirement accounts, vehicles, and other personal assets.




About Reed Allmand


Allmand's vision is rooted in his own financially precarious childhood in Abilene "My father always had difficulty holding a job and supporting our family, so after my parents divorced when I was 12, my sister and I got jobs to help make ends meet," he recalls. "I remember what it felt like as a child to worry that our car would be repossessed or home foreclosed on."

View all posts by Reed Allmand


Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter to receive updates.


Why do I need to submit a new wage order when I modify my plan

When we modify your bankruptcy plan we are changing your plan payments. This means that we have to get with your employer and change the terms and amount of your wage order. The only way we can do that is by filling out a new wage order form.  

Learn More
What happens if the stay terminates on my home?

If the bankruptcy stay terminates on your home that means that even though your in bankruptcy, your creditor can pursue all there legal remedies they can pursue if you were not in bankruptcy. This includes foreclosure, and having your house sold and evicting you from your house.

Learn More

Find Location

  • Dallas Bankruptcy

    5646 Milton Street, Ste. 120 Dallas, Texas 75206
  • Fort Worth Bankruptcy

    860 Airport Freeway, Suite 401, Hurst, Texas 76054
  • More Locations

Meet Our Clients