Does Alimony or Child Support Need to Be Reported as Income When Filing Bankruptcy?

December 14th, 2012 by Reed Allmand

When you file bankruptcy you are required to report monthly income, usually for the last 6 months leading up to the filing. This is used to help debtors complete the Means Test which determines eligibility for Chapter 7 bankruptcy while reviewing expenses, debt and household size. In some cases, monthly income may allow a debtor to file Chapter 13 bankruptcy instead of Chapter 7. The test helps determine bankruptcy eligibility by state income requirements.

Alimony and child support payments are considered income that should be reported upon filing. This may have an effect on the outcome of your Means Test. If you are seeking to file Chapter 7 and are receiving support payments, keep in mind they may qualify you for Chapter 13 if the payments push you over the median income threshold for Chapter 7 eligibility. This often depends on other forms of monthly income that contribute to the household.

Aside from reporting previous and current income, your payments for child support, alimony and other income may be calculated to determine what your monthly budget will be in the future. The Means Test also reviews expenses and income/debt ratio against the household to help determine bankruptcy eligibility. If you happen to be above the income requirement for Chapter 7 and qualify for Chapter 13, you’re income calculations may help determine monthly payment affordability.

If you are receiving child support or alimony and are considering bankruptcy as an option, discuss your situation with a qualified bankruptcy attorney.



About Reed Allmand


Allmand's vision is rooted in his own financially precarious childhood in Abilene "My father always had difficulty holding a job and supporting our family, so after my parents divorced when I was 12, my sister and I got jobs to help make ends meet," he recalls. "I remember what it felt like as a child to worry that our car would be repossessed or home foreclosed on."

View all posts by Reed Allmand


Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter to receive updates.


Why do I need to submit a new wage order when I modify my plan

When we modify your bankruptcy plan we are changing your plan payments. This means that we have to get with your employer and change the terms and amount of your wage order. The only way we can do that is by filling out a new wage order form.  

Learn More
What happens if the stay terminates on my home?

If the bankruptcy stay terminates on your home that means that even though your in bankruptcy, your creditor can pursue all there legal remedies they can pursue if you were not in bankruptcy. This includes foreclosure, and having your house sold and evicting you from your house.

Learn More

Find Location

  • Dallas Bankruptcy

    5646 Milton Street, Ste. 120 Dallas, Texas 75206
  • Fort Worth Bankruptcy

    860 Airport Freeway, Suite 401, Hurst, Texas 76054
  • More Locations

Meet Our Clients