How Do You Know the Value of Personal Property in Bankruptcy?

January 25th, 2013 by Reed Allmand

Personal Property in Bankruptcy

Part of the filing process in bankruptcy includes listing personal property and its value.  In bankruptcy you refer to the replacement value or the amount it would be worth if sold by a retail merchant based on the condition and age of the property.  Depending on the item itself, you’ll get an idea on how you should determine its value. Supporting documentation related to property values may be reviewed by the trustee upon request.

Household furnishings such as televisions, computers, video equipment, etc. are likely to have a value similar to items found in consignment shops or online auctions.  Compare your findings and keep a record by noting the date and source you got your estimated amount from.  Items that are really old and worn may have little or no value.

Personal property such as jewelry, furs and artwork may need an appraisal from a licensed appraiser or auctioneer.  You can obtain a written appraisal for bankruptcy purposes from most dealers. Mention to the appraiser you want the current market value amount.  For vehicles, the Kelly Blue Book, NADA or local dealer are source that can give a replacement value.

Failure to properly disclose assets and their respective values could jeopardize your case. You may not be granted discharge of debts and could face penalty fines.  Being honest is an important factor; items need to have an accurate value to be eligible for protection through state and federal exemptions.  Plus, appropriate documentation helps support values placed on property were made in good faith.



About Reed Allmand


Allmand's vision is rooted in his own financially precarious childhood in Abilene "My father always had difficulty holding a job and supporting our family, so after my parents divorced when I was 12, my sister and I got jobs to help make ends meet," he recalls. "I remember what it felt like as a child to worry that our car would be repossessed or home foreclosed on."

View all posts by Reed Allmand


Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter to receive updates.


Why do I need to submit a new wage order when I modify my plan

When we modify your bankruptcy plan we are changing your plan payments. This means that we have to get with your employer and change the terms and amount of your wage order. The only way we can do that is by filling out a new wage order form.  

Learn More
What happens if the stay terminates on my home?

If the bankruptcy stay terminates on your home that means that even though your in bankruptcy, your creditor can pursue all there legal remedies they can pursue if you were not in bankruptcy. This includes foreclosure, and having your house sold and evicting you from your house.

Learn More

Find Location

  • Dallas Bankruptcy

    5646 Milton Street, Ste. 120 Dallas, Texas 75206
  • Fort Worth Bankruptcy

    860 Airport Freeway, Suite 401, Hurst, Texas 76054
  • More Locations

Meet Our Clients